Autor Thema: Newbie Looking for help/tutorial  (Gelesen 25945 mal)

Offline cozz3

• Jungbrut
  • My/Mein Echo Equipment: Elite-5 Chirp, IMC
Newbie Looking for help/tutorial
« am: 08 Februar 2017, 23:32:33 »
Hey everyone, I am completely new to IMC and map making.   We are heading to a remote location in Canada this year and after 30 hours of failure I cannot figure out how to build a very basic map that will display in my Lowrance Elite 5 chirp. My primary objective is to use the map to navigate the lake and record my sonar during the trip.

I can download what I believe are shape files from http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/toporama/en/index.html. I'm trying to cover Lake Windermere in Ontario.  After I downloaded the files i converted the .shp files to wg84 with Qgis per the IMC instructions document.  The went to IMC and added the shape files.  In attribute mode I set u_limit to 19 and l_Limit to 0.  New shape files were created which I then went back to vector mode and added the newly created shape files then clicked build and one large.at5 file was created. 

Again I'm new to this and willing to put in the time to learn but after scouring the web for help I can't figure out how to troubleshoot.  Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Offline fjordfischer

• Moby Dick
  • My/Mein Echo Equipment: HDS-7 Carbon, HDS-7 G3, HDS-7 G2, SS3D, echoMAP-71sv
Re: Newbie Looking for help/tutorial
« Antwort #1 am: 09 Februar 2017, 12:33:11 »
U_Limit and L_Limit is not sufficient. You need more attributes.

For more informations it was helpful, if you save your files as *.zip file, rename to *.zi_ and set to this forum posts, or you use the forum mail address from the impressum site for ship.

Offline gregory

• Insight Map Creator
« Antwort #2 am: 09 Februar 2017, 16:33:01 »
For area features, COLOR (and/or CLRRGB on units that support it) is also required.  Without a specified color, your area features will be rendering transparent.

Offline cozz3

• Jungbrut
« Antwort #3 am: 09 Februar 2017, 18:53:43 »
Thanks fellas, here are the shape files I'm working with.

Offline fjordfischer

• Moby Dick
« Antwort #4 am: 09 Februar 2017, 19:25:51 »
If Gregory don't have a problem with this or other ideas, you can expect a solution after weekend.
1. Your coordinate system is not wgs84 (ETRS 4326).

2. You must learn to edit the attributes with the IMC or GIS-software ....
The IMC can be very helpful for this task.

Offline cozz3

• Jungbrut
« Antwort #5 am: 09 Februar 2017, 20:06:53 »
Sorry, I thought that was only required for raster files.  I couldn't find in the IMC documentation where there was a step to reproject shape files.   This is the raw data I was working with when I first started the project. 

Offline fjordfischer

• Moby Dick
« Antwort #6 am: 09 Februar 2017, 20:11:36 »
no problem.

Offline fjordfischer

• Moby Dick
« Antwort #7 am: 10 Februar 2017, 16:41:27 »
1. Transform shapes into WGS84 coordinate system. If possible delete the most columns of the attribut table, exept names.
2. Use the IMC attribute mode for creation of new area shape files. You only must heed COLOR and LAYER (pic. 10-13).
3. Use the IMC attribute mode for creation of new line shape files. You only must heed COLOR (pic. 14) .
4. Use the IMC vector mode for AT5 creation (pic. 15).
5. Result in the Insight Planner (pic. 16).

Sample files attached.

Offline cozz3

• Jungbrut
« Antwort #8 am: 13 Februar 2017, 00:23:58 »
I really appreciate the detailed write up!  Your map looks perfect and  I'm glad to see its possible.  I went through the steps as described except change the U_Limit to 19 since I think my Lowrance elite 5 Chirp will only handle one .at5 file.  I tested the file I created in the elite simulator with no luck.  Then tried in again in my actual unit.  It beeps like it recognizes the map but nothing is displayed on the screen nor do I see a border of the map.  Also, tried  your at5 file but no luck. 

I think I may have messed up when using qGIS and didn't convert the files correctly.  I will give it another go

Offline fjordfischer

• Moby Dick
« Antwort #9 am: 13 Februar 2017, 07:47:37 »
Do you have exactly search in the correct region (coordinates visible in the pic.)?
Do you set your unit in chrat setting to "Lowrance"?
My AT5 is v12, i will create a v10 today evening.

Use both AT5!!! It's from one and the same chart/region. This should be not a problem.
If you use the Elite simulator - do you have place the file on the correct folder?

I only used 4 shapefiles. You can add more datas/option if you want.